If you search for inventory management on the internet, your first result will yield a number of articles explaining how hard the entire process is and still, it needs to be done, as a sort of ‘necessary evil’.
Truth be told though, inventory management and allocation and tracking of assets need not be that infuriatingly complex. When we started attacking this problem, we quickly realised a couple of things:
a. Unnecessary Complexity: Most expensive inventory management systems do not differentiate between internal asset allocation and external customer supply chain increasing the dependencies by combining these two fundamentally different ecosystems under one roof.
b. Feature Bundling: Most of these softwares bundle a bunch of simple and advanced features for all categories of users when small firms and logistics operators for global retail giants operate at very different levels of complexity. The net result is that the small firms are perennially at a disadvantage, onboarding to complicated softwares and then paying for features they have no use for.
How QR Code based asset tracking can help?
As mentioned above small firms don’t really need to pay for complicated softwares for asset tracking. A QR Code based system is great for small firms to track all their assets as it takes away the requirement for most manual data entry.
Tips for effective for QR Code Tracking
1. Plan assets you wish to track
First you need to decide which company assets to track: line items (SKU, manufacturing id, etc.) or individually all items with unique serial code. The first QR codes will be based on this segmentation.
2. Print QR Code according to tracking plan
Pre-print your QR code labels as and attach them to the items as they go to various locations like construction sites and warehouses. Tracking by your team simply requires a quick scan with their smartphone.
When printing QR code labels, the following factors also need to be considered:
- Size: Make QR code labels, at a minimum, 1 x 1 inch.
- Material: Regular paper is ideal for items being stored indoors; weather-resistant labels should be used for items being stored outside.
3. Use QR Code Software
Use the Softbrik App to track any QR, Allo Brik and Trak Brik ones :
- Extremely modular (alloBrik is for internal asset allocation and trakBrik for Customer shipment tracking) and hence you only pay for features you use
- They are no just QR code-based trackers but part of a bigger ecosystem of business apps and hence data from one process flows seamlessly to others (example you can raise automatic Customer Service tickets to stakBrik if the item has not reached its required location.
- Pricing is much cheaper and competitive – Softbrik charges €10 per user per month for both these Briks which is significantly lesser than any standalone software offering.
“Welcome to 2020 ” Bonus!!
Sign-up on Softbrik by end of February 2020 to get File Brik COMPLETELY FREE for 12 months per user with a €10 Brik subscription.
This lets your team store and share all large files with QR for free! (otherwise €6 user/month)